New Year update from Ceumannan Skye Ecomuseum
Bliadhna Mhath Ùr dhuibh uile! // Happy New Year to you all!
Here’s a short update on some of the Ecomuseum plans for the first few months of the year
- I will be starting regular classroom sessions with Staffin Primary from 22nd of January – Our first topic will be Early Man on Skye – looking at the site that was excavated at An Corran in 2015 and what Staffin would have been like then. The next topic will be Staffin’s industrial heritage with history of the Diatomite works at Invertote. Eventually we plan to cover all 13 of the Ceumannan sites with local schools and produce a school’s pack.
- A contract for an interpretation consultant will be going to tender by the end of January. The aim is that the new interpretation for each of the Ecomuseum’s sites will be fresh, to a very high standard and good for families. The Ceumannan steering group and I will be working with a consultant that will assist in the delivery of the information presented on each board.
- Similarly, a contract for a new website to go to tender shortly after that. This will enable visitors to better plan their trips better and visitors will be able to see more of what Staffin has to offer. It will also help advertise a strong local events programme.
- Over the next few months, the newly formed Staffin Historical Society will be doing walks to each of the abandoned villages in the area, like Rigg and Holm. A bit of research has already started and we will eventually be looking to do these as guided walks. If anyone would like to be kept informed as to when these are happening(only a small group will go to begin with) please email me Skyeecomuseum@gmail.com
- We also have a date in the diary this month where we will be planning a short film on the Ecomuseum with EU-LAC pupils from Portree High School. This will be filmed mostly using a Go-Pro camera and will be punchy and fun.
- One date for your diaries is Wednesday the 17th of January. I will be leading short fortnightly health walks starting at midday from Columba 1400. Free refreshments available for afters… Come one, come all!
- Couple of events to be advertised very soon, including a Shinty talk in February & a Dinosaur Easter Egg Hunt in March.
- We are also very grateful that staff from Rabbie’s, the bus tour company, will be spending two days with us in February working on maintaining some of the paths in the area.
Le gach deagh dhùrachd
Aonghas T. Moireach / Angus N. Murray
Ceumannan / Skye Ecomuseum
Urras an Taobh Sear / Staffin Community Trust
01470 562 464